Thursday, May 7, 2009

Feathers

Today, I was embracing the wife in me,
and I decided to attempt to make the wonderful
homemade rolls my mom makes so amazingly.
I even had to knead the dough and everything.
(My mom doesn't do that, I'm just too poor,
and don't own a kitchenaid. Someday.)
Well, as I reached into the egg carton
to pull one out this is what I found instead...



feathers.

Wait...
Yes.
FEATHERS.

I could not believe for a second that I had
actually just pulled an egg out of the carton
that still had feathers on it!
Don't they go through and inspect these things?
I checked it at the store to make sure none were broken,
but I didn't think I would have to flip each one over
and see if any still had the chicken attached.
I had about 3 1/2 minutes where I ran around
my apartment screaming and thinking I was
going to throw up. You know that gag thing
you do right before you do actually toss the cookies?
Ya. That is what I was doing.
It is a good thing Erik was at school,
because I was probably over reacting, but still...
Feathers.
Not only feathers, but some other 
orangish-yellow thing that has me convinced
it is part of another chicken.
Instead of throwing it away,
I secretly put it back in the carton
(upside down)
and now I am just waiting for Erik to find it himself.
Is that mean?
I don't think so.
I actually think it is funny, because I know
he will make an even bigger scene than I did.
Well, enjoy the rest of my feathered-egg pictures.
For some reason I blanked on how to turn this one around.
Sorry.
Happy Thursday!
(I hope you don't find feathers on your eggs.)





3 comments:

Kat said...

this is sooo gross! I would've reacted exactly the same way hah. love you!

Our Farm said...

I just had to laugh!

We always find chickens attached to our eggs! We pull our eggs from under the chickens. Your being so disconnected from you food is one reason the USDA is able to do things like pushing thru NAIS & telling you that it's for your own good. We farmers know different. NAIS is about driving us out of business, so the big corps, like the one that's responsible for breeding the new flu that's going around (came out of the manure pit of a Smithfield pig farm in Mexico.) You need to go find a farmer to buy your eggs from. I have people who drive 2 hours to get eggs from my farm. they come out once every couple months & buy several dozen. Keep them stored in a cool room & they last fine. The eggs you buy in the store, including that one w/ the feather, are about 3 months old when you buy them.
Get more connected w/ your food, and you'll find out how much better real food tastes!

Kimber said...

That is SOOOO nasty Amber!!!! Haha

(I don't even know if you know but every week or 2 I check up on tons of blogs and I absolutely LOVE checking YOURs haha it just makes me so excited for everthing!!!!)

Love youi girl!